St. Philip’s School and Community Center’s origins come through the active interest of the Episcopal Diocese and local African-American Episcopalians to start a black Episcopal church in South Dallas in the late 1940s. In striving to fulfill the needs of the local community, the burgeoning church began offering programs specifically targeted to meet the needs of area youth.
In 1959 church members, neighbors, and the Episcopal Dioceses of Dallas continued to invest in the community through the construction of a new gymnasium to accommodate community center programming. In 1967, the educational thrust began in earnest with the establishment of a daycare center. Over the years as the original church began to wane, the daycare and community center and school blossomed.
The school and community center’s focus on excellence in education and service reached its current high standards under the leadership of Dr. Terry Flowers, who joined St. Philip’s as school principal in 1983 and now serves as Headmaster and Executive Director. Under Dr. Flower’s leadership, St. Philip’s School and Community Center has grown from an Episcopal PreK3 – 1st grade school serving under 90 children, to a highly competitive, independent PreK2 – 6th grade institution with a rich reputation for educating children to be confident, morally strong, intelligent, and caring leaders.